Tuesday, November 1, 2011

How the other half lives

I tutor and nanny for a family who live on the upper east side. Their penthouse apartment on Park ave is decorated like a Better Homes and Gardens magazine and is probably close to the size of my suburbian home. Whenever I am in their apartment I cannot help but look around at all the beautiful art, decorating details and monstrocity of the place. Specifically, my favorite room in the apartment is the dining room. The details of the room are filled with extravagant textiles and patterns. The color palette is blue, brown and gold. Brown being the enormous table in the center of the room, gold on the beautiful vine and leaf-like chandelier above the table and blue in the textiles of the chairs and floor length curtains. When I step into this room I feel as if I am a character in a movie or have been taken back in time to the Victorian age. Either way, to the kids this room is nothing but the space where they can spread out and do their homework or be tutored.



No comments:

Post a Comment